Saturday, February 26, 2011

In China, once again

Once again, I am going to try to blog about my time in China, so that those who might want to see how things are going can come here.


I have arrived in Nanjing. I even have my own apartment now and have completed my first week of classes. As usual, it was a bit of an adventure making it to my hotel on the first night in China. My flight from Shanghai to Nanjing was delayed by an hour. So, I ended up leaving Shanghai at midnight and arriving in Nanjing at 1 a.m. Upon arrival, the bus I could have taken to my hotel was not running anymore (of course). But fortunately, I had met a Chinese woman and her daughter in the Shanghai airport who offered their help. So at 1 a.m. I boarded a bus and traveled to some destination unknown to myself. However, I arrived safely and exited the bus to the dark, lonely streets. I found a taxi and rode to Xi Yuan Mandarin Hotel. When I got out, I didn't see the hotel at all, but the taxi driver seemed confident that he had taken me to the right place, so I got out and started looking around. It was 2 a.m. and I was lugging my two huge suitcases down a small alley hoping to find the hotel. Sure enough, I found it, but the gate was chained shut and all the lights were out, no soul in sight. I walked around for a bit trying to find an open door. I was starting to think up contingency plans for the possibility of not being able to get inside. Right across the street there was an Italian restaurant with the lights on. Just when I was about to park it outside in the cold, a security guard came outside and let me in. Thank goodness! It would have been a cold night outside. My hotel room was still cold, though. Ah, China heaters.

Anyway, I made it. Now I have my own place. Next phase: find a suitable roommate.

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely an adventure! Sounds you kept calm and not being panic. Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete